Sunday, February 22, 2015

A Four Year Old and Grandparent's Day

   This coming Thursday, we attend Anna's preschool Grandparent's Day. I have been wondering what runs through her mind. For example, I have already planned my wardrobe! I doubt she's given a second thought to clothes. It's the same with other issues. She won't  ruminate on impressing us with gestures. If she does, her actions will be spontaneous. The same is true for apprehension about what we'll think of her,  how she looks,  how she cuts things out, or if we're going to like her art work. She's too busy living to touch on superficial worries. I'm not even sure she knows we plan to attend. For certain, she would have no idea about snacks or how long we're staying, though school only lasts for two hours, I think.
    I'm curious about what we'll do during that time. It could be that the kids are planning a skit or singing songs. I've heard her sing in church, and she seems to have no qualms. She might glance at us, but she doesn't seem blown away by our presence. If anyone has anxiety, it's me. In case you wonder why, it's the computer. If they are using one, I'm boggled by all the skills a four years old knows. At Christmas time, when leaving our house, Anna yelled out, "Mom, did you remember to pack my upload?!" I couldn't help but wonder what she was talking about. As it was, she was referring to  a Christmas gift- a game she got to play on the computer.
    I felt undone. She knows more about the computer than I do. When I was four life was all about my baby doll and doll dishes. That's as far as I'd gotten. All of this new "early learning" sort of intimidates me. Oh well. Regardless, she'll charm Grandpa and me beyond anything we can imagine because that's what grand kids do so effortlessly. I can hardly with to go. I hope she'll approve of my black velvet pants and a top with a red jacket. Signing off...Grandma