Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Candle Light Dreams Nebraska-Hate Will Club


  Nothing stopped Will’s desire to torment Ginny. Celeste as well as Ginny dreaded Will’s bravado and cocky attitude. Early in the fourth grade, Ginny took action. She and Celeste were walking to school one morning when Ginny stopped and turning towards Celeste, said, “Celeste, I want a yes or no. Are you going to join my ‘I Hate Will’ Club?  It’s just you and me. We’ll use the old shed out behind the barn for a club house.” Her eyes shiny, her face eager, she continued. “It has an old ice pick and that hog hanging device. It’s the thing they used to bleed pigs out before boiling them. The shed’s about empty except for those and some axes and barrels.” 
    Horrified at the thought of hanging Will, Celeste remained silent. What would Mom and Dad say when they found Will dead and dripping blood?
    Impatient for an answer, Ginny tapped the toe of Celeste's shoe.  Panicked, Celeste’s mind was empty.
    “Celeste, we’re about to go to school, and I want to know whether to make plans or not. I want a yes or no. Right now.”
    Celeste, her voice an octave higher asked, “What are the plans?” Which would be worse? Having Ginny mad or killing Will?
    “It’s going to be fun,” Ginny laughed. “We’ll move the stuff aside and bring in pans and gravel for mud pies. Once the pies dry, we’ll bomb him. Can’t you just see him? I’m going to make that crazy, mean gizzard cry.”
    “Ginny,” Celeste giggled, relieved. “I’ll join. I thought you were going to murder him on that pig hanging thing. I mean hang him, drain him, axe him, and pick him. I just didn’t think ...”
    “Hey. You really are creative, Celeste. Let me give that some thought.”
Candle Light Dreams Nebraska

No comments:

Post a Comment